Reading Mommy's textbook.
"Identity Management: The communication strategies that people use to influence how others view you."- Looking In, Looking Out
In other words the things we do to make sure people think of us the way we want them to. In my case this most often applies to doing my make-up, my hair, and putting on perfume. It is interesting to realize that the terms in your textbook actually apply to your daily life. For example yesterday for the first time I walked into my Interpersonal Communications class and realized while I had intended to return to the bathroom and put on make-up before I left the house to do laundry before going to class I had indeed neglected to do so. First thought upon realization, oh no all of my blemishes are showing. Next thought oh crap this is what I've been reading about... Do you actively change your dress or demeanor to fit an impression you are trying to make?
What a class Interpersonal Communications. After the starting realization that I had no chemicals on my face I was treated to another not so simple surprise realization. While reviewing the chapter with the class it comes to me, according to this textbook I can reasonably be categorized as having low self-esteem this was a shocker to me. Something to work on I suppose, glad that is the goal of my textbook. Perhaps this class will do more for me than I had ever dreamed.
One of the best moments thus far in my return to school happened last night. First %100 score on a college quiz!!! Granted it was a 15 question multiple choice chapter review in which I was permitted to use my book (which I didn't). Still a very happy moment that reaffirms my goals.
Goals now that's a fun thing to ponder what are my goals? I know I think of them through out the day as I do everything I must as a wife, mother, daughter, and student but actually writing them out... Well let me give that a go eh?
Short-Term (2-6 months):
- Complete my quarter with 15 credits
- Realize a 3.5 GPA
- Be invited to join Phi Theta Kappa
- MOVE (that's more like a 2 week goal)
- Realize my faults and find ways to improve
Long-Term (6 months +):
- Get hubby's medical bills paid off
- Attain regular overnight visitation with step-son (this may not take so long not sure yet)
- Purchase home 4 rooms or more 0.5 acre of property or more
- Attain MIT ATA
- Find employment (this could fit under either category)
- Have second child
- Raise happy healthy individuals
Hmmm.. it's a start I suppose.

No comments:
Post a Comment